“If Carlsberg did lawyers...great stuff, Steve.” Heath Ball - Head of Pubs at Dark Star Brewery
As an alcohol licensing solicitor with over 15 years’ experience I can help you solve any licensing problems that you might be facing. From obtaining new premises licenses and variations through to challenging reviews and appearing at licensing hearings.
Everything I suggest to you is not just based on my knowledge of licensing laws. It is also based on my first-hand experience of how the various licensing authorities and police forces like to work. Or to put it another way, I know what they like, what they don’t like and what actions will likely get the results you want.
I tend to help small to medium sized pub, restaurant and retail operators. And by small-to-medium, I mean operators running from one to around twenty sites. I am also known to passionately protect those who operate many sites.
And as a result of working with business owners – many of whom are risking their own money – I have developed a very realistic approach to costs, including the most practical options to take.
So no matter how many licensed premises you’re running or what type of operations you have, I can help you solve any licensing problems you are facing.
Common alcohol licensing items I can help you with: • Obtaining and varying premises licenses
• Obtaining pavement licenses
• Defending premises licence reviews
• Interviews under caution
• Obtaining a sexual entertainment venue licence
• Defending prosecutions
• Advising on licensing terms in leases/contracts
• Drafting policies
Want to speak with me for free?
If you’ve got a licensing issue that you’d like to speak about, why not give me a call? I offer a completely free 30 minute telephone or face-to-face licensing consultation.
Obviously I can’t guarantee that I’ll be able to solve all your legal licensing problems in 30 minutes, but at the very least you’ll have your position clarified; and you’ll be in a better position to make decisions on what to do next.
So why not call me on 0203 859 7759 or 07919 481 861. Or if you prefer you can email me using email@example.com
To give you a flavour of how I can help you, here are a couple of examples of my work:
• Dice Bar and Club, Croydon: A large venue split over three floors that houses a cocktail bar, restaurant, sports bar and nightclub. You might have heard about this, a very high profile and complicated case that received lots of national press coverage and allegations of police racism. I defended a review of their premise licence. This was brought by the police who were asking for revocation; potentially devastating to a family owned operation.
• The Anchor Tap Pub. A brand new, high quality and traditional pub in Horsham run by Dark Star Brewing Co. This involved obtaining a new premises licence and some very last minute negotiations with the licensing authority, which threated to scupper the grand opening after a £300k refit.
''Immediately, I became aware that I was dealing with someone with an absolutely different calibre of experience to my previous representative.'' Mark Rothman - The Top Secret Comedy Club
“If I ever darken the licensed trade again I would want you by my side.” Mark Williamson - ex. Zenzi Lounge owner
“Many thanks and well done. On behalf of all of us here a big thank you for your advice and success, we’ll bask in it as long as we can.” Nick Letchford - Director, The Dalston Victoria Ltd
"Great job Steve...you are definitely a contender for 'the' man’’ Tim Luther - Director Dry Sack Ltd
You might find the licensing articles that I write useful. They appear in a range of places including the national licensing trade press and here on this website. Some of my latest Q&As include: