Which branch would you like to contact?

Nottingham 0115 953 8500 London 020 3859 7760

Personal Licence and SIA (Security Industry Authority) Licence

Do I need to tell the authorities about an assault charge?

Q:  Unfortunately, following some trouble at my pub (which I was trying to stop!) I was arrested and charged with assault. I have a Court date set next month. I am a tenant of a pub company, I am a personal licence holder and I hold an SIA licence. Do presume I need to inform the local authority or SIA about the charge?

A:  You will obviously have a lot on your mind at the moment, however you are right that you do need to let certain people know about the charge. In terms of your personal licence, when you make your first appearance before the Magistrates’ Court, you must inform the Court that you hold a personal licence. If you are convicted, the Court may suspend your personal licence for up to 6 months, or even forfeit it, and they will notify the licensing authority who issued your personal licence.

Failure to notify the Court that you hold a personal licence is also a separate offence in itself. Secondly, in terms of your SIA licence, you need to inform the SIA of any convictions, cautions, warnings or charges as soon as practicable, and certainly within 21 days. Again, the SIA may revoke or suspend your licence. You may also need to inform your pub company of the charge – check your tenancy.

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Speak to one of our friendly team