Published: 26 November 2019 by Carl Weston
The Institute of Licensing and Poppleston Allen Solicitors were delighted to announce David Lucas as winner of the 2019 Jeremy Allen Award for excellence in licensing.
David was nominated by Sylvia Oates & Jo Cox-Brown (Directors, Night Time Economy Solutions), Angela Rawson (Regional Licensing & Policy Manger, Nottingham City Council) and Julie Tippins (Operations Director, DHP Group) with endorsements from 27 other individuals from all backgrounds within licensing.
David Lucas has an extensive career within the licensing industry. He has been a partner at a number of firms, most recently at Fraser Brown, which he joined in 2005 and at which he held the role of Head of Licensing. His outstanding knowledge and talent and his professional, honourable and ever-positive approach have earned him a deservedly excellent reputation within the industry.
David’s nomination was primarily the personal time and energy he has given so generously to so many throughout his career, including:
• East Midlands IoL Regional Chair/Director since 2008
• Best Bar None, Director of national scheme and co-founder of Nottingham scheme
• British Institute of Innkeeping, fellow (since 2018) and regional council member (since 2008)
• Nottingham City Pubwatch, treasurer and committee member (since 2014)
• Licensing expert group and Gambling expert group, founder member
• Nottingham leisure group, founder and administrator
• Nottingham city centre night time economy strategy group, Vice Chair
• Nottingham leisure Business Improvement District, Chair
• Contributor to Home Office, Gambling Commission, Portman Group, Local Government Association, and Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
Institute of Licensing Chairman, Daniel Davies said:
“It is an absolute pleasure to confirm David Lucas as winner of the Jeremy Allen award this year. His nomination is richly deserved and well supported by a staggering number of endorsements. David gives so much time to so many organisations and has been instrumental in establishing some excellent partnership initiatives which he continues to support. He has served the IoL with distinction as Chairman and Director of the East Midlands region since 2008 and continues to do so to our great benefit”
Jonathan Smith from Poppleston Allen said:
“David has made a significant contribution to the licensing profession during his highly successful career. This is not, however, limited to advising clients but also covers his tireless work with bodies such as the BII, IoL, Best Bar None and Pubwatch; all of which have helped progress the profession of licensing.
Something that struck me when reading the award nominations this year was the incredible warmth with which people spoke about him. It is without question that David is a real force for good in the licensing profession and as such, wholeheartedly deserves this recognition.”
David was presented his award on the evening of 21st November 2019 during the Institute’s National Training Conference Gala Dinner. David said:
“I am extremely honoured to receive the Award.
Throughout my career I have not sought public acknowledgement or recognition in respect of any of the activities mentioned in the nomination.
I have been extremely fortunate to be involved in an area of law that I enjoy immensely, and which has provided me with enormous satisfaction. It has enabled me to meet some wonderful people, many of whom I can now call friends.
Whenever possible, I have endeavoured to make contributions over and above the work that I was employed to carry out. If those contributions have been positively received, that has been reward enough.”
Nominees and Finalists 2019
The Jeremy Allen Award was established in 2011 as an ongoing tribute to Jeremy Allen and is awarded jointly by the Institute of Licensing and Poppleston Allen Solicitors. The annual award is open to anyone working in licensing and related fields and seeks to recognise exceptional practitioners.
Crucially, this award is by 3rd party nomination, which in itself is a tribute to everyone nominated in that they have been put forward by colleagues in recognition and out of respect to their professionalism and achievements.
The other nominees and finalists for the Jeremy Allen Award 2019 were:
• Louis Krog – Cheltenham Borough Council (Finalist)
• Margaret O’Donnell – Wirral Council (Finalist)
• Niall Forde – Music Venue Trust (Finalist)
• Stephen Turner, Hull City Council
• David Dadds, Dadds LLP Solicitors
• PC Andy Vernon, Greater Manchester Police
• Special CI Steve Jones, West Mercia Police
• Michael (Mick) Armfield, Pendle Borough Council
Licensing solicitors Poppleston Allen again sponsor award at the biggest event in the pub calendar
Hosted by Paddy McGuinness, these awards celebrated the hard work and commitment of the sector in front of 1500 crowd
New stronger rules introduced to regulated gambling advertisements
Enhanced restrictions are set to be placed on advertisers from October 2022
Changes to CizApp from 15th March 2022
Today, the CizApp user process will change
Can’t find what you’re looking for?