“A tireless worker who is very conscientious. She is exceptionally thorough and very clever”
Chambers and Partners
Lisa holds an LLB (Hons) in law and qualified as a Solicitor in October 1994.
Lisa has specialised in alcohol licensing for over 20 years and has been with Poppleston Allen since its inception; becoming Managing Partner in April 2018
She has experience in all sectors of the industry from pubs, bars and restaurants to the more complex matters surrounding late-night licensing, particularly in cumulative impact areas.
There isn’t much in the way of licensing that Lisa hasn’t experienced. This is reflected in Lisa’s Band 1 ranking in Chambers & Partners legal guide and her Leading Individual status in the Legal 500.
Comments from these guides include:
- “Expert in her field”
- “Noted for her success before licensing committees”
- “Able to tailor services to suit the client”
- “Knowledgeable and forthright”.
Lisa is former Director of Legal and Ethics for the Security Institute and is now Honorary Fellow of the Institute, providing pro-bona legal advice and support.
In addition, Lisa is a tribunal member of the Pubs Independent Conciliation and Arbitration Service (PICA-Service).
Lisa splits her time between our Nottingham and London offices and acts for a large number of independent clients and multiple operators.
Key clients include:
- Mitchells & Butlers, operators of one of the largest managed and leased pub estates in the UK;
- Ricker Restaurants, award winning group of prestigious London eateries;
- The Howard de Walden Estate, freehold owner of most of the buildings in 92 acres of Marylebone, central London;
- Consolidated Developments, a group that, for over 30 years, has been instrumental in shaping today’s Soho;
- Criterion Capital, real estate asset manager that identifies, acquires, develops and manages real estate on behalf of long-term Investors;
- CEG, estates and development business with a portfolio covering nine million square feet with a capital value of around £800 million;
- Splendid Restaurants; operators of Jack & Alice restaurants;
- Center Parcs
- Tenpin; One of the largest operators of Tenpin bowling centres in the UK;
- Randall & Aubin, prestigious environmentally sustainable restaurant in Soho.
Lisa is a respected advocate and speaks regularly at legal training sessions, client forums and trade conferences.
“As one of London’s largest property owners, we are at the forefront of building £multi-billion, transformational developments, where obtaining the correct premises licences is vital for the bars, restaurants and general hospitality aspects. Poppleston Allen Partner, Lisa Sharkey consistently demonstrates an in-depth understanding around the technical aspects of law & council policy, how they impacted our ambitions, and delivers commercially aware advice – exactly what you expect from a first-class licensing law firm.” – James Burfitt, Head of Construction at Criterion Capital
“Lisa Sharkey and Poppleston Allen always goes the extra mile. Lisa is commercial, strategic, down to earth and gives clear advice. Our business is not 9-5 and she will pick up the phone whenever we call. Her team handle multiple tasks for us annually and we have never had any issues in the 23 years I have dealt with them on behalf of Tenpin LTD. The leader in leisure licencing for sure.” – Graham Blackwell, CEO at Tenpin Ltd
“Lisa Sharkey is thorough and dedicated to her clients” – Legal 500
“We have been pleased with the performance of the team as a whole, notably their advice and direction on complicated licensing matters and strong communications. Lisa Sharkey in particular has performed exceptionally on our account – her support through some quite difficult work has been invaluable.” – The Legal 500
“Lisa Sharkey has deep experience in the licensing space and is considered an industry expert.” – Legal 500
“She is experienced, knowledgeable and has excellent judgement.”“She is obviously extremely experienced, but she is also very detail-oriented and makes sure everything is done absolutely correctly.” – Chambers & Partners
“She is excellent technically and listens to clients. She always looks to make the client’s life easier.” – Chambers and Partners