Which branch would you like to contact?

Nottingham 0115 953 8500 London 020 3859 7760

Showing live sports in pubs

Is there anything I need to be aware of?


I run a pub and I would like to show the Champions League final on 3 June 2017. However, I do not normally show sporting events. Is there anything I need to be aware of?


You do not need to have any particular permission for regulated entertainment on your premises licence if you are simply showing live TV. However, you will need a valid TV licence for the premises to cover any matches shown on terrestrial TV. If there is living accommodation on the premises where a TV is also in use, this must be covered by a separate licence.

You may also require a PPL / PRS licence to deal with any copyright issues.  If you want to show any sports that are not on live TV (such as old football matches perhaps before or after the match) then this would be a licensable activity and you would need permission for films on your premises licence.

Please be aware that if you are not used to showing football, you may attract a new crowd to watch the match, or your regulars may stay with you for longer. Therefore, you should carefully consider any possible changes in your operation and, if necessary, carry out a risk assessment. Finally, as always, do check your premises licence for any restrictive conditions.

For further information on this issue or any other legal licensing problems contact solicitor Helen Cardy on 020 3859 7760.

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Speak to one of our friendly team