Which branch would you like to contact?

Nottingham 0115 953 8500 London 020 3859 7760

Employing children of school age at a bar

Can I employ a child of school age in my bar?

Q: Can I employ my 15 year old behind the bar during his school holidays?

A: From a licensing law perspective yes you can, provided that if he is actually selling alcohol each and every sale is specifically approved by a responsible adult. It isn’t sufficient simply to provide a general authorisation as you may do with adult staff. Also, Councils are permitted under other legislation to issue by-laws restricting how and when children of school age can be employed. These often include rules preventing children from selling alcohol in licensed premises or delivering it (unless in a sealed container). I suggest you check with Child Protection at the Local Council to see if such a by-law is in force in your area.

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Speak to one of our friendly team