Which branch would you like to contact?

Nottingham 0115 953 8500 London 020 3859 7760

Personal licences

For the first time there are two separate licences; one for an individual and one for the premises.

A Personal Licence is only required to sell alcohol under a premises licence.

To supply alcohol in a members club, or simply provide regulated entertainment or supply hot food or drink between 11:00pm and 5:00am a Personal Licence is not needed.

The licence is portable, like a driving licence and from April 1st 2015 no longer needs to be renewed. A Personal Licence is granted by the Local Authority where the individual normally resides.

In order to be granted a personal licence an individual:

  • must be over 18 years old
  • must possess an accredited licensing qualification – the Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH). Click here to see details of courses run by our sister training company, Poppleston Allen Training
  • must not have had a personal licence forfeited in the last five years
  • must be entitled to work in the United Kingdom
  • must pay the appropriate fee and complete an application form
  • must supply two passport style photographs, signed by a solicitor or anyone else with standing in the community
  • must not have a conviction for any “relevant” offence or foreign offences

Join over 7,000 professionals already getting a free legal 'heads up'

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Speak to one of our friendly team