Which branch would you like to contact?

Nottingham 0115 953 8500 London 020 3859 7760

Owner is refusing to return personal licence

What action can I take to get my personal licence returned to me?

Q:  Two years ago, I started a new job working in a pub as a duty manager, living in a flat over the pub. When I started there, the owner asked me to hand over my personal licence to him, which I did. A couple of weeks ago I had an argument with the owner and handed in my notice. I have moved out but he is now refusing to give my personal licence back. What should I do?

A:  Your personal licence is your own property and there was no need to hand it to the owner.

You may wish to inform the owner that you intend to report his actions to the Police if he does not return your property. If you need to get a replacement personal licence, you should speak to the Licensing Authority who originally issued your personal licence. They will be able to advise you on the process for obtaining a replacement and you may have to pay a small fee.

Remember, you also have a duty to keep the Licensing Authority informed of any changes to your address so, as you have moved house, you should inform them of your new address at the same time you request a replacement. 

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Speak to one of our friendly team