Which branch would you like to contact?

Nottingham 0115 953 8500 London 020 3859 7760

Lapsed Licence

The licence is held in a limited company which has been dissolved

Q: I am about to buy a pub and I have just been told that the Premises Licence Holder is a limited company which has been dissolved and the licence has lapsed. The premises is in a Cumulative Impact Area and I have been told it will be very difficult to get a new licence. Is there anything else I can do?

A: Usually if a limited company becomes insolvent or is dissolved then the licence lapses immediately and only a transfer within 28 days can rescue it. Anything outside that and the licence has gone for good. However, if the company is ‘dissolved’ then it may be possible to reactive it under Section 1028 of the Companies Act 2006 then it is possible also to reactive the Premises Licence so that it takes effect as if it had never lapsed. It may not be a short or easy process but at least it gives you an alternative approach.

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Speak to one of our friendly team