Which branch would you like to contact?

Nottingham 0115 953 8500 London 020 3859 7760

Non-licensable activities

If I want to book a comedian do I need to change my premises licence?

Q: I am looking to book a comedian in my pub. Do I need to change my premises licence?

A: No. Having stand up comedy in your pub is not itself licensable and nor is it even if there are recorded musical ‘interludes’ as part of the act because these will be regarded as ‘incidental’ and not regulated entertainment. Please do be aware that some premises licences do still have the old public entertainment licence conditions attached some of which prevent ‘adult entertainment’ and so there is a possibility that if your comedian is particularly ‘blue’ that this may be caught so it is worth checking the conditions on your licence first.

Join over 7,000 professionals already getting a free legal 'heads up'

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Speak to one of our friendly team