Personal Licences

For the first time there are two separate licences; one for an individual and one for the premises.

Man behind bar

A Personal Licence is only required to sell alcohol under a premises licence.

To supply alcohol in a members club, or simply provide regulated entertainment or supply hot food or drink between 11:00pm and 5:00am a Personal Licence is not needed.

The licence is portable, like a driving licence and from April 1st 2015 no longer needs to be renewed. A Personal Licence is granted by the Local Authority where the individual normally resides.

In order to be granted a personal licence an individual:

  • must be over 18 years old
  • must possess an accredited licensing qualification - the Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH). Click here to see details of courses run by our sister training company, Poppleston Allen Training
  • must not have had a personal licence forfeited in the last five years
  • must be entitled to work in the United Kingdom
  • must pay the appropriate fee and complete an application form
  • must supply two passport style photographs, signed by a solicitor or anyone else with standing in the community
  •  must not have a conviction for any "relevant" offence or foreign offences

Application On Line

You can apply for your Personal Licence here, with Poppleston Allen. You will need to answer a questionnaire and send it to us. One of our legal team will check the answers, complete an application form and send it with the appropriate fee and documentation to the appropriate Licensing Authority.

Find out more about our Applications On-line Service.

APLH + Licence Application Service

Alternatively, Poppleston Allen are pleased to offer a one-stop-shop to gaining the APLH qualification and obtaining your Personal Licence. While you are taking the one-day course, the tutor will guide you through the application form during your lunchtime break, check the details and send the forms for processing. 

Please click here for availability of courses.