Which branch would you like to contact?

Nottingham 0115 953 8500 London 020 3859 7760

Special Treatments Licence

If you would like to offer special treatments here are some handy tips to consider

If you carry out activities which are known as “Special Treatments”, then you may be required to obtain a licence from your Local Authority.

Special Treatments can include (but are not limited to):

  • Massage;
  • Manicure;
  • Pedicure;
  • Facials;
  • Reflexology;
  • Aromatherapy;
  • Nail extensions;
  • Chiropody;
  • Laser treatments;
  • Light treatments, e.g., sunbeds;
  • Electric treatments, e.g., electrolysis;
  • Skin piercing treatments, e.g., tattooing, acupuncture, body and ear piercing;
  • Other treatment including heat, light or vapour e.g., sauna, steam or other bath treatments

Not all Councils will require this, and you need to check with the relevant Local Authority whether they have adopted the legislation so that a licence is required.

Some Local Authorities also require the therapist who is providing the treatment to be registered with it.

If you would like to offer any of the above special treatments, and a licence or registration is required, then we can help guide you through the process from start to finish.

Join over 7,000 professionals already getting a free legal 'heads up'

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Speak to one of our friendly team