Which branch would you like to contact?

Nottingham 0115 953 8500 London 020 3859 7760

Designated Premises Supervisor

There must be a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) for all premises selling alcohol

A Designated Premises Supervisor (or DPS) must be the holder of a personal licence. Once appointed to such position, the personal licence becomes all the more important. Should the personal licence of the DPS be revoked for any reason, or the DPS refuses to allow their name to be used, the premises will not be able to sell alcohol.

The DPS should be the point of contact at the premises, in day-to-day control, even though he or she may be absent from the premises from time to time.

Due to the high level of responsibility involved, this person must formally give their written consent to undertaking this role.

The police may object to the appointment if they feel that it will be to the detriment of the crime and disorder licensing objective.

Premises which do not have a DPS, either because one was never appointed, or because the DPS has left, may not sell alcohol.

Join over 7,000 professionals already getting a free legal 'heads up'

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Speak to one of our friendly team