Designated Premises Supervisor

There must be a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) for all premises selling alcohol

Lady behind bar

A Designated Premises Supervisor (or DPS) must be the holder of a personal licence. Once appointed to such position, the personal licence becomes all the more important. Should the personal licence of the DPS be revoked for any reason, or the DPS refuses to allow their name to be used, the premises will not be able to sell alcohol.

The DPS should be the point of contact at the premises, in day-to-day control, even though he or she may be absent from the premises from time to time.

Due to the high level of responsibility involved, this person must formally give their written consent to undertaking this role.

The police may object to the appointment if they feel that it will be to the detriment of the crime and disorder licensing objective.

Premises which do not have a DPS, either because one was never appointed, or because the DPS has left, may not sell alcohol.

Applications On-line

You can apply to make the change to your DPS here, with Poppleston Allen. You will need to complete a basic questionnaire and send it to us. One of our legal team will check the answers, complete the application form and send it with the appropriate fee and documentation to the Local Authority.

Find out more about our Applications On-line Service.