- 1) New permitted development rights for changes of use 15 May 2013
- No need for planning permission for change of use?
- 2) Relaxed Planning Rules - Good or Bad for the Licensed Trade? 13 September 2012
- Government relaxes planning to convert accommodation above shops without Planning Permission.
- 3) Birmingham City Council seeks to limit number of fast food outlets 9 December 2011
- Birmingham City Councils consults on its Shopping & Local Centres Supplementary Planning Document
Although the planning and licensing regimes are distinctly separate, they do overlap in a number of areas and often both permissions are required to allow for the same end use.
The planning framework is complex to navigate, with every local authority having different policies that significantly impact on the process and planning permission outcomes.
Jonathan PhillipsFormerly Head of Planning at Poppleston Allen, Jonathan Phillips now operates as a consultant and advisor in his capacity as a specialist planner in the leisure industry.
Jonathan has practiced in planning consultancy since 1989, including a stint as Planning and Development Manager at First Leisure Corporation, dealing with all aspects of town planning nationwide. He works for multi-national leisure companies and independent operators, including Gondola Group (Ask, Pizza Express and Zizzi), Stonegate Pub Company, Enterprise Inns, Mitchells & Butlers, S&N Pub Enterprises, Barracuda Group, Domino's Pizza, Leon Restaurants, Novus leisure, Fitness First and a number of betting operators and other land developers.
Jonathan is assisted at Poppleston Allen by Nick Landells. Nick is employed in a combined planning and licensing role, which enables him to understand the needs of leisure operators. Nick provides a link between client and consultant and can respond to most standard planning enquiries. He supports the solicitors in planning-related issues for all clients and is also responsible for the administration of all planning applications.
Jonathan also works closely with the Solicitors on external smoking solutions in particular in relation to the provision of permissions for furniture on the highway.